What is Kief? If you’re new to the cannabis culture and hear someone mention “kief,” your first reaction might be to say “Gesundheit!” However, it is not a sneeze. Believe it or not, kief is a word commonly used in the cannabis industry.
Kief is a powdery substance filled with delicious terpenes and trichomes. What are trichomes, you might ask? Trichomes are what make up the sticky, white substance on your bud. Those trichomes are important, because they’re the part of the plant that contains tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). This is the substance responsible for that lovely “high” feeling.
How do I Collect the Kief?
Collecting kief from your bud is very simple and also very time-consuming. Those trichomes are microscopic, and it takes a long time to collect enough to smoke. The easiest way to collect kief is with a four-chambered grinder.
A four-chambered grinder has a screen that allows the trichomes to fall through while you’re grinding your bud. The part about this method is you’re just saving kief that would’ve otherwise been wasted from the bud you’ve already bought.
Here are a few steps to get you started:
- Load your grinder. Make sure to place the bud around the edges and not in the middle.
- Put the lid on, apply pressure, and grind.
- Tap it on your hand or table to help the trichomes find their way through the screen. Be careful to not let the lid pop off.
- Enjoy! Once you have enough to scoop out with your dab tool, you’ll be ready to rock and roll.
Kief is a concentrate, so it packs a powerful punch. It is very versatile and has many uses. Here are a few to get you started:
- Kief is a great addition to your joint or bowl. Simply add a sprinkle to the bud in your joint and roll it up. Or, sprinkle some on top of your bowl. Light it up and enjoy.
- Since kief is a concentrate, it makes a great dab. Carefully apply some to your dab ring or nail for a tasty cannabis treat.
- Cook with it. Kief can be added to your favorite cannabis recipes, or sprinkled on top of your favorite beverage. However, heat will break down the trichomes when you cook with them. To maintain the highest potency, it’s recommended you add it to cold recipes such as hummus.
- Transform it into Rosin. You will need a large quantity of kief to try this DIY project. You’ll also need some parchment paper and a hair straightener. Put the kief in the paper and fold the paper in half. Then, use the hot hair straightener and apply some pressure to press down on the kief. The trichomes should release and ooze out. Congrats: you just made rosin.
Ready to Try Some Kief Today?
Skip waiting to collect kief on your own by ordering some today. Campfire Cannabis has kief on hand and ready for you. Check out our online menu to see what we can offer you today.