It seems like new cannabis terms, acronyms, and products are developed every day. These days, navigating the best dispensary in Massachusetts could easily make Tommy Chong’s head go up in a smoke of confusion. Today we’ll help you navigate full-spectrum cannabis extracts.
So what are full-spectrum cannabis extracts? The goal of a full-spectrum cannabis product is to preserve compounds from the entire cannabis plant, including cannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids, proteins, phenols, sterols, and esters. The purpose of full-spectrum products is to create products that provide therapeutic benefits from each compound.
How Are Full-Spectrum Cannabis Extracts Made?
There are a variety of ways used to make full-spectrum cannabis extracts. Unfortunately, most of the methods are very complicated and require expensive, high-tech equipment. The four most common methods are:
- Butane or propane extraction: Also known as hydrocarbon extract, this method binds the butane or propane solvent to the trichomes and removes them from the plant. The solvent is later removed, leaving behind just the cannabis plant’s chemical compounds.
- Supercritical CO2 extraction: This extraction method uses pressure and temperature to manipulate the CO2 and force the chemical compounds out of the plant.
- Pressure: Using heat and pressure to force compounds out of the plant, this extraction method is relatively safe and easy. It doesn’t require a solvent, and you can easily find a DIY tutorial if you have a stockpile of kief in your grinder and you want to make it at home.
- Ice Water extraction: This extraction method is growing in popularity because it doesn’t require solvents or high-tech equipment. The cannabis plant is frozen, and the trichomes are removed using ice water and bubble bags.
What Are the Potential Benefits of Consuming Full-Spectrum Cannabis Extracts?
Currently, a lot of research and studies are being conducted on how full-spectrum extracts affect various ailments. Many people seek out these extracts in hopes of relieving the following ailments:
- Chronic pain
Research is still in its infancy; however, a recent study on the effects of full-spectrum extracts on neuropathic pain and inflammation shows promising results.
How Should You Look For Full-Spectrum Extract Products to Buy?
Full-spectrum extracts are not created equal. Extracting the chemical compounds is a delicate process, and many factors can change the profile and quality of the product.
When inquiring about full-spectrum extracts, the dispensary should be able to tell you what extraction process was used. Other questions to ask include:
- What part of the plant was used? The concentration of chemical compounds is different in the various parts of the plant.
- Was the plant fresh or dried prior to extraction? Fresh plant material will have a higher concentration of chemical compounds.
- What cannabis strain was used? The various cannabis strains have different ratios of cannabinoids.
For More Information
Finding the perfect cannabis products for your needs shouldn’t be complicated. At Campfire Cannabis, our knowledgeable and friendly staff can help answer all of your cannabis questions. Stop by our Worcester dispensary for your next full-spectrum cannabis extract. Online ordering and pick-up is also available.