One of the most notable things about cannabis is its versatility. Whether you’re smoking it or consuming it as an edible, you are sure to reap its benefits if appropriately handled. Whether you’re new to the cannabis world or have been around for a while, chances are that you have tried to figure out how you can make the most out of your weed and possibly even considered microwaving it, much like the infamous Snoop Dogg does. Stick around as we take a dive into one of the most common questions about cannabis!
Why do people microwave cannabis?
There are a few reasons why people decide to microwave recreational cannabis, including:
- Drying it out faster so that it is ready for smoking or ingesting. There is a one-month period between cannabis plants being harvested and becoming buds that some find difficult to be patient through. This specifically involves drying and curing the cannabis. As a solution, people turn to microwaving their cannabis to quicken the process.
- Decarbing it so that it is ready to become an edible. Decarboxylation is the process that involves activating compounds in cannabis, like THC, that make it more potent. This process takes place naturally when weed is smoked or vaporized, but must be activated when it is being used as an edible. This is when people turn to microwaving their bud in order to activate these cannabinoids so that they are ready for ingestion.
- Making it stronger. In the same way as decarbing, people will often microwave their weed in order to bring out the cannabinoids that are responsible for feeling high so that it can enhance their experience. The belief is that the heat will cause these compounds to activate, making them more potent.
- Tightening their joints. People who wish to have a cleaner joint will try microwaving it in order to release the leftover water in the wrap and tighten the joint.
- Reheating an edible. Some edibles, like brownies, are better when warm. People will oftentimes reheat their edibles by microwaving them for a few seconds. This is often less about microwaving the weed and more so about microwaving the edible itself.
Does microwaving recreational cannabis really work?
All of these reasons for microwaving cannabis seem valid, but is it actually effective? Although microwaving your weed to achieve optimal results seems quick and efficient, it is oftentimes unnecessary and can lead to ruining your bud altogether. Since microwaves do not always cook things evenly, you run the risk of burning a portion of your weed, making it ineffective and potentially unusable.
This method is most effective when it comes to tightening a joint. This is because of the science behind this process. Microwaving excites water molecules, removes the extra water from the wrap, and makes for a tighter joint. It is also effective when it comes to reheating your edible, as it is closely similar to microwaving regular food.
How to get the most out of your weed
Unfortunately, microwaving your weed will not ensure that you get the most out of it. Our advice to you if you want to have quality weed is that you purchase it from a reputable, high-quality dispensary. At Campfire Cannabis, we pride ourselves on offering you high-quality bud that is ready to be enjoyed. Skip the at-home DIY efforts to make your weed effective by shopping our selection today!